This professionally-accredited course will provide you with the key analytical and practical skills and knowledge required to become a chartered civil or structural engineer.
The expertise of leading industry consultants and businesses feeds directly into your accredited degree. You will gain a full understanding of the key civil engineering disciplines of structures, geotechnics, water engineering, and highway engineering.
Why choose this course?
You’ll benefit from being taught by industry experts at the forefront of the latest world-leading research. This gives you up-to-the-minute knowledge of issues and developments in the field today.
You'll study all of the core subject areas, with a focus on analysis and materials behaviour. Later on, in the course, you’ll have the chance to specialise in areas such as design and management.
We ensure that contemporary matters are considered. For example, we will show you how to think about problems from a sustainable point of view so you are prepared for the ever-changing needs of our world.
As well as preparing you academically, we will seek to prepare you for the professional world. We put emphasis on your personal development and will use our industry insight to identify the skills you need to grow and enhance to succeed in your chosen career.
Career and study progression
You will gain work experience during a work-based project. This can enhance your career prospects as employers will often seek graduates with hands-on experience.
Civil engineering can be traditionally broken into several sub-disciplines. Our graduates can follow their career in any of the following sub-disciplines:
- Structural engineering - structural engineering consultancies
- Water resources engineering - utility companies
- Transportation engineering - transportation authorities
- Materials science and engineering - research centres
- Construction engineering - civil engineering companies
- Environmental engineering - local and national government
- Geotechnical engineering - engineering consultancies.
This course boasts multiple professional accreditations, giving your qualification industry-wide recognition that can boost your career.
We are accredited by:
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE)
- The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT)
- The Institution of Structural Engineers
- Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (ICES)
Successful completion of this course contributes to the academic requirements for the ICE grade Member.
Year one (Level 4)
- Health and Safety
- Structural Mechanics
- Civil Engineering Construction
- Civil Engineering Practice
- Construction Materials
- Land Surveying for Civil Engineers
- CAD for Civil Engineers
- Mathematics for Civil Engineers (Part 1)
- Mathematics for Civil Engineers (Part 2)
Year two (Level 5)
- Fluid Mechanics
- Design of Structural Elements
- Highway Engineering
- Soil Mechanics
- Construction Laboratories
- Design of Steel and Masonry Structures
- Sustainable Civil Engineering
Year three (Level 6)
- Commercial Management
- Final Year Project
- Environmental Protection Engineering
- Geotechnical Design
- Structural Design Project
112 - 120 UCAS tariff points from Level 3 qualifications.
These can include:
- A Levels at grade B, B and C, or above
- BTEC Extended Diploma with Distinction, Merit, Merit
- Access to HE Diploma
You also need GCSE English and Maths (grade 9 – 4 / A* - C) or Level 2 equivalents.
This course particularly welcomes applicants with the following qualifications: - Progression or Advanced Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment - Courses in a related subject area such as National Certificate/Diploma in Construction/Civil Engineering/Engineering
Mature applicants (aged 21+): If you do not hold the above qualifications but possess relevant work experience, you are invited to apply. Your application will be considered on an individual basis.
Level 5 entry
If you wish to enter directly at level 5 of this course you will be required to follow procedures in accordance with the university regulations. The demonstration of appropriate knowledge, competencies and relevant industrial experience is required and will be considered by the relevant university board. You are an ideal candidate for entry at this level if you have a 120 undergraduate credits at level 4 or a CertHE in a related subject area.
Level 6 entry
If you wish to enter directly at level 6 of this course you will be required to follow procedures in accordance with the university regulations. The demonstration of appropriate knowledge, competencies and relevant industrial experience is required and will be considered by the relevant university board. You are an ideal candidate for entry at this level if you have a 240 undergraduate credits (at level 4 and 5), a DipHE, Foundation Degree or HND in a related subject area.
International entry criteria
International students need to meet our English language requirement at IELTS 6.0 or above and a minimum of 5.5 for each of the 4 individual components (Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening).
In some countries where teaching is in English, we may accept local qualifications.