Bachelor in Software Engineering Al Buraimi University College
This program is designed to provide the students with comprehensive knowledge in different aspects of software engineering: analysis and specification of requirements, specification of programs, program development, software quality management, software projects management, documentation, examination, and management of software configurations, as well as some practical directions of the software development including those that occur in huge and complicated systems. Our graduates are strong candidates for public and private organizations inside or outside the Sultanate in the careers of Computer software applications engineer, Computer software system engineer, Software solution developer, Software project manager, Software designer, Software analyst, Computer support specialist.
Vision of Software Engineering program
The Software Engineering Program aspires to be one of the distinctive in the sultanate of Oman. Its graduates will be highly sought by both industry and public sectors. This aims to prepare students for careers in software engineering. comprising construction and maintenance of packaged and customized software, software integration, and software project management.
Mission of Software Engineering program
Software Engineering is about the careful engineering of large and complex software systems to meet diverse and often critical needs. This Program addresses both analytical and practical skills required by the students to develop robust and efficient computer-based Software Systems for manufacturing, industrial, medical, government, and business applications. Students will have individual and hands-on experience with timely, cost-effective, and state of art processes and tools.
- Academic Degree Awarded (upon graduation): Bachelor Degree in Software Engineering
- Awarding Body: Al Buraimi University College (in affiliation with California State University, Northridge, USA)
- Credit Hours: 123 credit hours
- Program Length: 4 Years (8 Semesters)
Learning goals of Software Engineering program
- Our graduates demonstrate knowledge of engineering management practices and administrative functions.
- Our graduates apply software engineering theory, principles, tools, and processes, for the development and maintenance of complex, scalable software systems.
- Our graduates analyze and specify software requirements through a productive working relationship with project stakeholders.
- Our graduates design a system, component or process to meet desired needs incorporating the principles of professional ethics.
- Our graduates apply techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for using software engineering standard practices.
- Our graduates show awareness of social and work ethics.
- Our graduates show good command of the language in general and specific contexts relating to the discipline.
The objectives of the Software Engineering program at Al Buraimi College, Sultanate of Oman are that its graduates should demonstrate expertise, engagement, learning, leadership, and teamwork within a few years after graduation.
- Expertise: Graduates should establish peer-recognized expertise together with the ability to articulate that expertise and use it for problem-solving in the planning, design, development, validation, and evolution of software using contemporary practices.
- Engagement: Graduates should be engaged in the professional practice, locally and globally, contributing through the ethical, competent, and creative practice of Software Engineering in industry, academia, or the public sector, or graduates may use the program as a foundation for interdisciplinary careers in business, law, medicine, or public service.
- Learning: Graduates should demonstrate sustained learning through graduate work or professional improvement opportunities and through self-study, and they should demonstrate the ability to adapt to rapid technological changes.
- Leadership: Graduates should exhibit leadership and initiative to advance professional and organizational goals, facilitate the achievements of others, and obtain results.
- Teamwork: Graduates should demonstrate effective teaming and commitment to working with others of diverse cultural and interdisciplinary backgrounds by applying software engineering abilities, communication skills, and knowledge of contemporary and global issues.
Student learning outcomes
On successful completion of the software engineering program, graduates will:
- Understand and be able to apply mathematics, physical science, computer science, and related disciplines.
- Understand and be able to apply principles of software engineering practice and process subject to realistic constraints
- Be able to analyze, document, and track system requirements
- Be able to design, implement and maintain software systems
- Be able to verify and validate software systems
- Have an awareness of current industry standards and practices
- Be able to work in one or more application domains
- Understand and apply principles of team process and project management
- Have strong oral and written communication skills
- Be capable of independent learning
Graduates of the IT department, Software Engineering program are expected to have the following jobs after graduation:
- Project Manager
- Systems Manager
- Systems Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Systems Designer
- Computer Programmer
- Data Entry Operator