Speech and Hearing Science (Minor)
Binghamton University, State University of New York
Earliest start date
* for new York state residents | for out-of-state residents and international residents - $26,160
The Division of Speech and Language Pathology (SLP) offers an undergraduate minor in speech and hearing science, which provides students with the basis necessary to develop foundational knowledge in normal and disordered processes of speech, language, and swallowing.
Completion of this minor will not allow students to practice as a speech and language pathologist. However, completion of this minor will prepare students to apply to a graduate program in speech and language.
Students completing the minor who plan on applying to a graduate program are advised to complete a course in each of the following areas*:
- Social science (psychology, sociology, or anthropology)
- Physical science (must be in physics or chemistry); introductory physics or chemistry
- Life science (biology of animal or human); introductory course focusing on animal or human biology; BIOL 105 or BIOL 113
- Lifespan development; PSYC 220 or HDEV 200 are recommended
- Statistics; MATH 147, MATH 148, or PSYC 243 are recommended