Bachelor of Arts in Sustainability Studies
4 - 6 years
USD 32,500 / per year *
Earliest start date
* tuition 2023-24
Be More Than an Environmental Activist — Become an Environmental Leader
Take on the most urgent environmental challenges from the moment you step on campus and learn how to turn your interest in sustainability into a career that provides a better future for the following generations. With a Sustainability Studies major from Graceland University, you’ll learn skills that will help you make a difference in the world and prepare you for a variety of graduate and professional degree programs.
We believe the best way to learn is through experience and provide active opportunities for students to learn firsthand about sustainability through beekeeping, gardening, and our community bike share program and food symposium. We also have student-led initiatives such as our Sustainable Table community meal program which helps build a more sustainable future for Graceland and the surrounding community.
The Sustainability Studies program at Graceland is a hands-on, innovative, and interdisciplinary program designed to prepare students for a range of careers in the sustainability field. It is also rooted in Graceland’s general education curriculum, which makes it easy to add a double major or explore other academic interests.
In addition to the General Education requirements, the interdisciplinary major in Sustainability Studies requires 36 hours.
Core course requirements 21 hours
- BIOL1100/SUST1100 Introduction to Sustainability – 3
- CSIT2110/SUST2100 Introduction to Geographic Information Sciences – 3
- ENGL3260 American Environmental Literature – 3
- ENGL2540 Global Eco-Cinema – 3
- HIST1560 United States Environmental History – 3
- PHIL1200 Environmental Ethics – 3
- COMM3240 Environmental Communication – 3
- Course Required for General Education 4
- BIOL/CHEM1200 Environmental Science with Lab – 4
- 9 hours of electives from the following list. A minimum of 6 hours need to be upper division.
- AGRI1200 Sustainable International Agriculture – 3
- ARTS3240 Eco Art and Ceramics – 3
- BIOL3400 Ecology and Conservation Biology with Lab – 4
- Internship requirements 3
- SUST3700 On-Campus Internship or SUST4300 Off-Campus Internship – 3
- Capstone/Senior Seminar/Senior Project Requirement 3
- SUST4700 Senior Capstone Project – 3
Programs, including internships, will be overseen by a standing Sustainability Studies Committee with a consistent chair who serves as a point person.
Recommended that Sustainability students take MATH1370 Statistics for Sciences and ECON1320 Principles of Microeconomics as part of their General Education requirements.
The growth career opportunities in the sustainability field are quickly outpacing many other industries and offer a wide breadth of choices in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors.
- Sustainability Consultants,
- Environmental Technicians,
- GIS Specialists;
- Environmental Policy Analysis,
- Urban Planning,
- Environmental Law;
- Environmental Education,
- Environmental Advocacy,
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.