Join the HSU family! At HSU you will learn from our nationally acclaimed faculty, connect with students from around the world, and be mentored by people who genuinely care about your spiritual, intellectual, and personal development. Whether you are a first-time freshman, transfer student, or returning to finish your degree, we would love for you to make HSU your home.
Admission Requirements: First-Time Freshmen
General admission will be offered based on test scores, class rank, GPA, and extracurricular activities.
Automatic general admission will be offered to any student with one of the following qualifications:
- A Composite ACT score of 20 or
- A Combined SAT score of 1030 or
- A CLT score of 66 or
- A high school class rank within the top 25%
- Test Optional applicants will be automatically admitted with a 3.5 HS GPA
While we recommend you take a college entrance exam or submit the scores you already have, HSU will accept applications without test scores, with no penalty to the student. HSU will continue to have a holistic application review process and will consider all submitted application items when making an admission decision.
Deadline to Apply: Applications are accepted through August 2022 for the Fall 2022 start.
Preparing to study in a foreign country can be very exciting, and the journey to enrollment is a fulfilling experience. The following international undergraduate admissions steps are designed to help you make a smooth transition to HSU.
Step 1: Application
Start your international admission application to HSU today! There is no application fee! Create a profile on our website and submit the online application.
Step 2: Admission
- The international admissions process at HSU is simple. We need the following items to consider you for admission at HSU as an international undergraduate student:
- Submit transcripts of all secondary work (high school). Transcripts must be original documents or clear photocopies by a school or government official.
- Submit either an official SAT, ACT or CLT test score. Minimum test score requirements for international admission to HSU are:
*If you are transferring from a university inside or outside of the U.S., you do not need to submit an SAT, ACT, or CLT score. However, we do require a language proficiency score.
- Submit either TOEFL, IELTS, or a Duolingo English proficiency test score. Minimum English proficiency requirements for international admission to HSU are:
- TOEFL: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- Duolingo: 95
- Statement of purpose. Submit a one to two-page essay on why you wish to study in the United States and at Hardin-Simmons University. Please include your full name in your statement of purpose essay.
Step 3: Immigration
In order to study in the United States, international students must complete a few immigration requirements with HSU:
- Copy of Passport;
- Provide a statement of financial backing;
- Sign up for I-20 shipping;
- Pay SEVIS Fee;
- Schedule a Visa interview;
- Pay enrollment deposit.
Step 4: Finalization & Registration
After you are admitted to the university and have completed your immigration requirements, there are a few additional items for you to complete in order to register for classes and then prepare for your arrival at HSU:
- Complete the Terms of Agreement;
- Accept Scholarship in HSU Central;
- Register for Classes.
Step 5: Housing & Arrival Information
HSU will assist with your arrival to our campus by providing transportation service from the Abilene Regional Airport, and will also make sure your housing is ready when you arrive. In order to prepare for your arrival, the following items must be completed:
- Complete a Housing Request in HSU Central;
- Complete the Student Health Form in MedProctor;
- Complete the Arrival Form and Review the Pre-departure Checklist.
Step 6: Payment
International students are required to make their first payment toward their student account prior to their arrival at the HSU campus. Please make sure your first payment is made through HSU Central by the following payment due dates:
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: January 5