Keystone logo
© BIMM University
London Metropolitan University

London Metropolitan University

London Metropolitan University


Based in one of the world's most exciting capital cities, London Met is home to a welcoming community of inspiring and determined learners, teachers and innovative thinkers.

We offer a wide range of courses, from undergraduate and postgraduate degrees to short courses and professional qualifications, many of which are available to study full-time or part-time to best suit your needs and lifestyle.

Our History

London Metropolitan University has a rich history with strong educational roots dating back to 1848.

The University as it is today was created in 2002 with the merging of London Guildhall University and the University of North London, the first merger between two universities in the UK. Its roots, however, lie firmly in the nineteenth century with the establishment of the Metropolitan Evening Classes for Young Men in 1848.

In 1848 the then Bishop of London called upon the clergy to set up evening classes to improve the "moral, intellectual and spiritual condition of young men in the metropolis". The Metropolitan Evening Classes for Young Men was thus born and later became the City of London College and then the City of London Polytechnic. In 1992, it was awarded university status and adopted the name London Guildhall University.

Holloway campus

Over the past 100 years, our north London campus has developed into a modern, progressive centre with a strong reputation for widening access to education.

This campus began life in 1896 as the Northern Polytechnic Institute. By 1900, student numbers had doubled and later the Institute's evening degrees were recognised by the University of London. In 1992 the Polytechnic of North London won the right to the title of University and the ability to award its own degrees.

Our academic structure

The University's academic structure is made up of five schools, with each of our courses taught within one of these schools. If you're looking to study with us, you can find out which school your course is managed under by checking the relevant course page.

Students studying in any of our academic schools have access to all our communal facilities (such as libraries, social spaces, cafés and eateries). Many of our schools also have areas of expertise that mean you use specialist facilities and resources as part of your course. Our schools have links to relevant businesses in sectors related to their specialist subject areas, and academics and PhD students within each of our schools also undertake important research that's making a difference in communities locally, nationally and beyond.

  • The School of Art, Architecture and Design: Internationally recognised for high-quality teaching, excellent facilities and unique opportunities.
  • Guildhall School of Business and Law: Offering a dynamic and relevant portfolio of business and law courses.
  • School of Computing and Digital Media: Offering qualifications in subjects from creative technologies to electronics.
  • School of Human Sciences: Offering a wide range of courses in subjects including science, dietetics, and sport.
  • School of Social Sciences and Professions: Demonstrating the relevance of the social sciences and professions as a tool for effecting societal change.


Applying as an international student

At London Met, we understand that the needs of international students are different to those joining us from within the UK.

We offer courses beginning in September and January of each year. They range from one-year top-up courses and foundation/extended degrees to undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.

Non-EU applicants applying to study full-time may choose to apply via the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) or apply directly to the University. If you're wanting to study part-time you should apply directly to the University.

If you require a Student visa (previously Tier 4) and wish to study part-time, you should make sure you understand which courses are eligible for this type of visa on a part-time basis. Part-time study on a Student visa is only available for postgraduate study at RQF Level 7 or above. For example, you cannot study a part-time Bachelor's degree on a Student visa.

As a part-time student on a Student visa, you are not allowed to take part in work placements through or at the University, and this may limit the course options available to you. For example, if a work placement is an integral part of the course you will not be able to study it on a part-time basis. Please also be aware that you will not be allowed to work in your free time or bring dependants with you, so it is important you are prepared to fund your studies without working in the UK. Self-employment is not allowed at all if you hold a Student visa. Please contact our Advice Service for more information on the part-time study under the sponsored Student route.

Awaiting and responding to your offer

Once the University receives your application you will receive a communication from us acknowledging this. You'll also be given your London Metropolitan University application ID and details about using our applicant portal. At this point, your application will enter the pending decision/consideration stage and we'll communicate with you again, either to request more information (such as a qualification transcript, portfolio, or piece of written work) for assessment or to advise you of our decision.

If you're successful in receiving an offer from us you'll receive a communication detailing a conditional or unconditional offer and this will contain further information and instruction. If your application is unsuccessful we will also contact you advising you of this and our reasons for the decision. Read more information and advice for offer holders.

Immigration and enrolment

After obtaining an unconditional offer you'll need to focus on making preparations to join the University and come to the UK (if you're not already here). You'll receive further information about when and where to arrive and how to attend your course enrolment closer to the enrolment period of your course.

You should be considering your accommodation and finances as soon as possible before the start of term, and you should also be aware of, and be prepared to meet, any immigration requirements such as obtaining a student visa at the earliest opportunity.

Visa Requirements

Student visa

If you want to study in the UK on a course lasting longer than six months (or 11 months for some English language courses) you'll need to apply for a student visa under the UK Points Based Immigration System. If you're unsure whether you need a student visa, you can check this through the Home Office.

The UK points-based immigration system requires that you score 70 points in order to be issued a student visa. You need to score these points in the following areas:

  • 50 points for the Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) – this is an electronic record sent to the UK Home Office by the University to confirm your details and your offer of a place at London Met. Please don't submit your Student visa application without the correct CAS number as it cannot be added at a later date.
  • 10 points for maintenance (tuition fees plus living costs) – please see the financial requirements to find out how much money you'll need and the correct format for your documents.
  • 10 points for meeting the English Language requirement- please see our English language requirements pages to find out more information.

The more prepared you are before making your visa application the less risk there is of making a mistake. In order to become more familiar with the UK Home Office's visa and immigration requirements you should read its advice from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

All applicants should read the Home Office Student and Child Student Guidance before applying for a student visa.

How to apply

You apply for a student visa online unless you are applying from North Korea, in which case you must apply in person. The government has issued guidance on the student visa application process. To start your application you will need to register and then complete the online form in English. After paying the application fee (currently £348) you must book an appointment at your nearest visa application centre in order to submit your biometric details (fingerprints and facial image).

When to apply

The process of obtaining a student visa can take up to eight weeks for a standard application, so you should begin to prepare as early as possible. If you leave it too late your visa may not be granted in time and you'll be unable to start your course. London Met cannot permit students to join their course after the latest enrolment date as stated in your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). For more information take a look at the dates and deadlines for international students.

The date when you apply for your visa (entry clearance) must be:

  • before you have travelled to the UK
  • up to six months before the start date of your course
  • no later than six months after your CAS was issued

Your visa start date will be no more than three months before the actual start date of your course.


  • London

    166–220 Holloway Road, N7 8DB, London

  • London

    Old Castle Street, E1 7NT, London