B.A. in Digital Media & Communication University of Saint Joseph
Jumpstart your career in the media industry
The University of Saint Joseph’s Bachelor of Arts in Digital Media and Communication degree provides you with the critical skills and knowledge needed to excel in today’s dynamic digital world. From graphic design, media production, and web development to marketing communications, the program prepares you to be a professional communicator and storyteller across various media platforms.
As a USJ Digital Media and Communication major, you receive a solid academic foundation that prepares you to be a leader in today’s highly innovative and fast-paced media industry while also specializing in your field of interest with a concentration in:
- Mass Media and Communication
- Sports Communication and Media
- Spanish Communication and Media
The University of Saint Joseph’s B.A. in Digital Media and Communication program curriculum puts an emphasis on building technical skills that are useful in real-world settings while developing a strong foundation for creative storytelling. The program curriculum introduces you to a wide range of media channels and explores different topics ranging from webpage development and marketing to video production.
The coursework includes hands-on projects and workshops where you can learn to use video and audio equipment for media production and industry-standard software, such as Photoshop, InDesign, and After Effects for editing.
The Digital Media and Communication curriculum consists of 42 credits of required courses and 12 credits of concentration courses that dive deep into Mass Media and Communication, Spanish Media and Communication, or Sports Media and Communication.
Unique Media and Communication Concentration Options
Curious as to what makes USJ’s bachelor’s degree in Digital Media and Communication unique? To start, it is one of the only two undergraduate programs in Connecticut that provides a specialization in Sports Media and Communication.
USJ’s B.A. in Digital Media and Communication is also one of a few programs nationwide and the only program in New England to offer a concentration in Spanish Media and Communication. The unique concentration fulfills the industry demand for highly-trained professionals who can serve sports, bilingual, bi-cultural, and diverse audiences upon graduation.
Internships and Real-World Experiences
As a Digital Media & Communication major, you can develop in-demand skills through internship opportunities in sports media, multimedia production, and communications. With access to studio and radio spaces, a digital media lab, and more, you apply the most current digital media strategies and practices in the classroom.
- Understand digital media and communication principles at a level that provides preparation for an advanced digital media production degree;
- Put into practice those principles and skills acquired. These skills are often demonstrated in an internship(s) as well as in-class exercises;
- Understand the use and application of media techniques and applied aesthetics;
- Collaborate as a team in the development of original ideas from concepts to production;
- Build a strong foundation in all aspects of design and production for visual storytelling;
- Develop a professional commitment to their field, preparing them to be members and leaders in their profession upholding ethical standards of the media industry.
Media and communication is a growing field with ample exciting career opportunities. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, media and communication occupations are projected to grow 14% through 2030 with about 151,500 new jobs.
With a bachelor’s degree in Digital Media and Communication, you are prepared for a variety of positions in the industry, including a journalist, marketing coordinator, broadcaster, multimedia, designer, videographer, and more.