Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (VGTU)
Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (VGTU) is a leading higher education institution situated in Vilnius the capital of Lithuania. Established in 1956 VGTU is one of the biggest research universities in the country with a focus on technologies and engineering and a strong emphasis on university-business cooperation.
Facts and figures
- Over 9 400 students (13,5% international – degree-seeking or exchange)
- 10:1 Student/Academic staff ratio
- 10 faculties: Antanas Gustaitis’ Aviation Institute, Architecture, Business Management, Civil Engineering, Creative Industries, Electronics, Environmental Engineering, Fundamental Sciences, Mechanics, Transport Engineering
- 13 research institutes, 3 research centers, 22 research laboratories
- Study programs in the field of engineering sciences make 70% of all study programs
- 960 academic staff members (67% with Ph.D. degree)
- 110 study programs based on a three-cycle structure: undergraduate (BSc), graduate (MSc), and post-graduate (Ph.D.) studies
- Over 450 partner higher education and research institutions in 67 countries
- Over 500 business partners
- 40 international research and study projects
- Over 82 000 alumni
- VGTU publishes 15 research journals (10 of which are listed in Clarivate Analytics Web of Science)
VGTU is among the top 2,1% of universities globally.
VGTU is ranked 32nd in Emerging Europe and Central Asia region according to the “QS World University Rankings 2020”.
VGTU is ranked by 4 subjects in QS WUR 2020:
#51-100 in Engineering – Civil & Structural
#101-150 in Architecture / Built Environment
#101-150 in Business & Management Studies
#201-250 in Economics & Econometrics
VGTU is ranked in 2 broad subject areas:
Top #=256 Engineering & Technology
Top #=276 Social Sciences & Management
Mission, Vision, Objectives
VGTU’s mission is to: develop a publicly responsible, creative, competitive individual who is receptive to science, the latest technologies, and cultural values; to promote scientific progress, social and economic well-being; and to create value that ensures the development of both Lithuania and the region in a global context.
Our vision is to be recognized in Lithuania and beyond as a prestigious technical institute of higher education, with superior programs in scientific inquiry and study that rank among Europe’s best. By making ourselves attractive to Lithuanian and foreign scientists and students we will continue to respond to environmental challenges and contribute to the social, scientific, and economic progress of our nation.
VGTU’s objectives are to:
- prepare qualified, creative, and socially active professionals, who can work successfully in both the scientific community and labor markets of Lithuania and elsewhere
- conduct international-level research concentrating scientific activities in departments with the highest level of competence
- implement VGTU’s policy of recruiting established scientists
- develop research-based innovations that benefit society and business
- take its place as one of the university leaders in the Baltic region in the fields of sustainable construction, transport, sustainable environment, information technologies, and communication
- promote the sustainable development of the country and region
- develop an innovative society.
Vilnius Gediminas Technical University
10223 Vilnius, Vilnius County, Lithuania