Since1869, Dillard University has been committed to providing students with a quality four-year liberal arts education. Dillard is a fully accredited private, historically black university. In 2010, U.S. News & World Report ranked Dillard among the nation’s Top 10 HBCUs, based on comprehensive undergraduate studies. Dillard also was awarded a Top 10 Ranking in 2010 for liberal arts schools in the social mobility category by Washington Monthly. The cornerstone of New Orleans’s Gentilly Community, the university sits on a beautiful and serene 55-acre campus, replete with signature live oak trees and a mixture of historic buildings and modern facilities. Dillard students go on to some of the best graduate schools in the world. Dillard currently has alumni studying at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Johns Hopkins and the London School of Economics, among others. Dillard University is also the only university in the United States that is a partner in the Melton Foundation. Dillard students who become Melton Fellows participate in intercultural training, leadership development, and global education through symposia, travel, online activities, project grants, and social service. Host countries include China, Chile, Germany, India and the United States.
- In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Dillard completely restored and refurbished 32 campus buildings and three off-campus residential complexes, and built two new LEED®* registered (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) buildings: the Professional Schools and Sciences Building, and the Student Union and Health & Wellness Center.
- In 2010, Dillard entered a partnership with the New Orleans Recovery School District for a new teacher education program that may revolutionize teacher education in New Orleans and, perhaps, serve as a model for programs across the country.
- Dillard's physics program has acquired a $1.8 million pulse laser system that allows students to perform graduate level research.
- Dillard’s highly acclaimed nursing program was the first of its kind in Louisiana.
- Dillard offers 22 academic majors across seven departments and schools.
- Dillard’s student-faculty ratio is 11 to one.
- Dillard University boasts one of the few Student Success divisions in the nation, a model that focuses on recruitment, retention, and support of undergraduates.
Graduates of Dillard represent a wide range of highly successful global leaders in fields ranging from medicine and law to higher education and international business, to arts and entertainment.
Mission and Vision
Dillard University's mission is to produce graduates who excel, become world leaders, are broadly educated, culturally aware, and concerned with improving the human condition. Through a highly personalized and learning-centered approach, Dillard's students are able to meet the competitive demands of a diverse, global and technologically advanced society. Dillard University’s Strategic Pillars
- Dillard University will be a premier private undergraduate university in the region and in the world of Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
- Dillard University will expand selectively into graduate studies, building on its best programs that represent future projections of workforce needs.
- Dillard University will increase and enhance its commitment to and production of quality, useful research.
- Dillard University will infuse globalization into its curriculum so that it expands its reach to other languages, cultures, and countries.
- Dillard University will demonstrate a commitment to all students’ success.
- Dillard University will develop student leadership training and enriched educational opportunities outside of the classroom to offer a balanced environment as part of the college experience.
- Dillard University will continue to attract and graduate talented African American students while welcoming those from a diverse background who can benefit from the unique experience we offer.
- Dillard University will demonstrate a commitment to technology as subject matter, a teaching tool and the underpinnings of internal systems that are efficient, reliable and cost-effective.
- Dillard University will show fiscal integrity, with systems of financial and professional accountability and stability.
- Dillard University will be engaged in the revitalization of its home, New Orleans.
- Dillard University will develop and promulgate practices relative to the greening of its campus and the promotion of environmental sustainability.
- Dillard University will develop a Gulf Coast Public Policy Center.
70122 New Orleans, Louisiana, USA