Wrexham Glyndŵr University started in 2008 so we’re still one of the youngest universities in the UK. It is a vibrant, friendly place where each student’s learning and future is given personal attention.
Our name comes from Welsh scholar and hero Owain Glyndŵr and we aim to champion some of the same philosophies as him.
We are proud to name our university after a man who cherished learning, loved his country, embraced an international outlook, and constantly demonstrated an inspiring and enterprising approach to life.
His spirit lies at the heart of Wrexham Glyndŵr University where we set out to be bold, enterprising and open to all in everything that we do.
We’ve been delivering education at our main Wrexham campus since 1887 when we were known as the Wrexham School of Science and Art. We first started offering degrees in 1924 but we've come a long way since then.
Today, industry-led courses are at the heart of our offering. We pride ourselves on our links with leading local and regional employers, such as Airbus, Kellogg’s, JCB and the BBC. Their knowledge and expertise are fed back into our courses, ensuring that our students are provided with only the most relevant skills for their future career.
We are extremely proud of the opportunities which we provide for those from non-traditional backgrounds to enter higher education. More than half of our students study part-time and we are one of the UK’s leading universities for supporting students from lower socio-economic backgrounds through university thanks to our comprehensive Widening Access programme in the local community. The university is also the first HE institution in North Wales to become a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
We began with just our two campuses in Wrexham (Plas Coch and Regent Street), but we have since grown to include campuses in St Asaph and Northop in North Wales as well as a satellite campus in Kingston-upon-Thames in London. We are a small university compared to many others, but with that comes a great sense of community with a fantastic support network for all our students and staff.
If you're interested in studying at Wrexham Glyndwr, or you're a local business that would like to get involved, take a look around our website to see what we have to offer.
Our mission statement
Our Mission is to work in partnership to inspire and educate our students and enable social and economic success.
The Vision encompasses seven commitments that are carried into the main body of the Vision and Strategy 2025 document and supported by a number of actions.
is underpinned by our values:
- Accessible in the learning we provide for our students, staff and community, being pro-active in promoting the value of higher education. This is grounded in a dedication to being inclusive and fair in how we provide our services
- Supportive of our learners and staff, as well as the region, helping all to gain confidence and achieve their potential. This implies a partnership focus to add value and share understanding – we work better and more effectively together, whether this is with students, staff, industry or other stakeholders
- Innovative in our delivery and management of academic provision and professional services, and in our relationships with collaborative and regulatory partners. This enables our culture, structure, policies and people to drive excellence, respond to need and deliver what we set out to achieve.
- Ambitious in what we seek to deliver for our students, staff and partners and in how we do that, recognising that there are no limits to learning and knowledge. This implies an innovative, enterprising and flexible approach; an eagerness to explore new ideas.
Has an applied focus
Driving excellence, through the delivery of an employer and industry-led course portfolio, to provide career-ready professionals to support and meet the needs of the regional, national and international economy.
Places students at the heart of what we do
Providing a vibrant, friendly and supportive community, focused on inspiring each person through personal tutors, to support and meet individual needs in reaching their potential through academic excellence.
How we work
- We involve and listen to students in all we do
- We build mutually beneficial partnerships
- We deliver what we promise
- We keep processes simple and effective
- We anticipate and act
- We communicate openly and regularly
Programs taught in: